Developing a Mixed Reality Application to Support ADHD Individuals at HELIX

HELIX Case Studies

Daisy-May Ticehurst is a fourth year BSc student in Computer Science (Digital & Technology Solutions) with an interest in exploring the additional challenges that individuals with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) face in remote learning/ working environments.

Daisy’s research has been influenced by the necessitation of remote working and learning as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. While remote work and study has offered many advantages, it also presents substantial negative impacts, particularly for those with ADHD.

Location: HELIX XR Classroom

Aims: To explore the additional challenges that individuals with ADHD face in remote learning and working environments, particularly compared to their neurotypical counterparts, to provide a tool that effectively helps mitigate such struggles.

Output: Daisy created a mixed reality application on the Meta Quest 3 headsets which is specifically designed for remote working or studying as it allows users to block out surroundings and have an immersive period of focus.

Impact: Through her extensive research, Daisy seeks to identify and understand the problems faced by adults with ADHD in order to create tools and resources, such as applications, which will directly benefit its users.

Why did you choose HELIX for your project?

''I learned about the facilities at HELIX through a member of staff in the computer science department who recommended that I explore the space and the resources it offers. I was interested in engaging in VR development work but was unsure of where to start or how to access the necessary resources.''

How did working in HELIX help you achieve your aims?

''I would not have been able to do an XR project without the support of HELIX staff and its facilities as I did not have any prior experience doing developer work on VR headsets. Having access to the Meta Quest 3 headsets was integral to my project. Working in HELIX also allowed me to connect with other students working with XR, which provided me with additional peer support.''

Do you have any advice to share from your HELIX experience?

''Don’t be afraid to ask for help! The staff at HELIX are knowledgeable and are happy to provide support. I was pleased to find out that I had access to laptops at HELIX and that I could borrow them and take them home with me. Once you have worked out the needs of your project, I would strongly suggest exploring the other resources and technologies that can be loaned from HELIX.''